[thelist] The Mac Market (was: Mac runtime for java update?)

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Thu Jul 27 01:15:53 CDT 2000

i wrote on 27/7/00 3:21 am

>> at the "higher-ups who think that Macs are some sort of fringe element,
>> radical muckrakers who care nothing for business but only for graphics.
>
>I don't think that any bank executives would be thinking that... see above.

Absolutely not. What they *will* say is "It's only 5% [randomly chosen
small figure, usually] of the market, it doesn't matter". Bank execs have
a very steep cutoff point for platforms, and they never see anything but
WinNT/ie in their own offices, so figure no-one will be using it.

Fortunately, the banking/utilities JV I work for (produced
http://www.work24.co.uk, which I know needs some work on it) is
starting to come around to X-platform everything, to the extent of
having a test suite inhouse including Macs (ordered an iMac yesterday)
and Linux boxen too.

All we have to do is persuade our development partners...

Cheers
Martin