[thelist] please critique my taoist beta revamp

Philip Denlinger philip at NAC.NET
Thu Jul 27 11:20:50 CDT 2000

> > Please visit <http://www.usiw.org/test/> and let me know your
> > no-holds-barred thoughts.  (Not everything works at this stage.)

I won't comment on the colors, but based on too many years of doing
design:

1) you need to have some kind of image -- a person, a landscape,
even a symbol if done in an interesting way. it is so easy to skip
away from an all type page.
I don't know what kind of image would be appropriate for your group

2) you need to think more about heirarchy of information -- what
pieces should be
looked at first, and what pieces looked at next.  Right now
everything is "at the same
level" -- use bold/nonbold contrasts and size contrasts to separate things.

3) take a look at www.garden.com -- the first site that came to mind.
if you did a three column layout, you could put your link list on the left,
(where it is now) but add small descriptive
blurbs.  Put your conference announcement in the center (main)
column, with a picture.
Put the prayers in the right column, maybe in smaller colored type.

Just my ideas, many people out there will have better ones.