OFFLIST RE: [thelist] OOPS

Jay Turley jay at weberrific.org
Thu Jul 27 11:38:31 CDT 2000

I wuz thinkin'...

<tip type="email lists" topic="tongue-in-cheek">
Carefully check to which list you are sending your posts. If you subscribe
to multiple lists, it is easy to forget which post is going to which list.
</tip>

<tip type="project management" topic="meeting deadlines">
Although practically every web developer (and team) includes in their
contracts a deadline for client signoff, in the real world, it seems that
every web project is subject to feature creep. And, by extension, every
project is thus subject to a missed deadline. This is particularly true for
site (re)designs, because it seems so simple to your clients. All they want
is for this table to be centered, and to have alternating background
colors, and to have a different button.
Yes, you can point to your contract and say "See, it says right here that
we don't have to change that button for you because you already signed off
on it", but this is a sure-fire way to irritate your client at the least,
and no matter who you are, you probably want a good reference from and a
good relationship with this client.
Go ahead and get your client sign-off. But when you are setting up
deadlines, give yourself breathing room on the final deadline. If you are
implementing a mid-size (for your team) site redesign due on September 1st,
set your internal deadline to July 15th at the minumum. This will give you
the time to implement those last-minute look-and-feel changes that are sure
to come up - before the real deadline passes.
</tip>

<tip type="browser-sniffing" topic="degradable links">
If you want links that take older browsers to one site, and newer ones to a
different site, but you have a splash page containing information that you
want the user to see before moving on, then try the following method of
creating anchors:

<script>
function sniffBrowser()
{
 if (document.images) // or whatever sniffing method you use
   document.location.href = "/newsite/index.html";
}
</script>

the site</a>

</tip>

  http://www.weberrific.org
 "Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology"