OFFLIST RE: [thelist] OOPS

martin burns martin at members.evolt.org
Fri Jul 28 04:33:35 CDT 2000

> <tip type="project management" topic="meeting deadlines">
> Although practically every web developer (and team) includes in their
> contracts a deadline for client signoff, in the real world, it seems
> that
> every web project is subject to feature creep.

Mmm - scoping discussions. Get them in early.

And most projects also suffers from time creep on its own, as pretty much every project takes longer and is more complicated than first thought, quite apart from additional features slipping in.

> Yes, you can point to your contract and say "See, it says right here
> that
> we don't have to change that button for you because you already signed
> off
> on it", but this is a sure-fire way to irritate your client at the
> least,

You should also ensure that there is a robust change control procedure in place - if a client asks for a change on signed off stuff, it's documented that they asked for it, you told them the impact on the delivery date (and cost), and they accepted it.

That way, they don't blame you for delays caused by their changes.

> </tip>

<tip type="site development & client relationship allegory">
Once a civil engineer was building a bridge. The tender document called for a nice cantilever bridge, with all the spars painted blue.

This was fine, and building was progressing nicely. Then the client called the engineer, and said "market research says that people don't feel safe on a blue bridge. You shouldn't have too much trouble painting it red instead".

The engineer was cool about this - it added a bit of time and cost to the project (cancelling all the tins of blue paint etc), but it was OK.

So the final roadway was about to be laid on the bridge, and opening date set. Then the client called the engineer and said "Did we say a cantilever bridge? We actually meant a suspension one."
</tip>