[thelist] 56k users for 4 more years

H. G. Quinn hgquinn at attglobal.net
Sun Jul 30 06:19:03 CDT 2000

Gartner's conclusions may be partly based on the fact that the
cable providers do not have their staff up to snuff in terms of
installation, service, troublshooting, and maintenance.  Perhaps
also, an analysis of cable providers' projected budgeting for
the next several years has given them clues as to how fast
things will move.

Deregulation has helped life in that things are a-hoppin' in
many ways, but it's also removed the stable (stagnant in the
long-term, though) capital-rich environment that businesses that
created cabling infrastructure in the past could count on.

Many of the cable providers are also public companies that
deliver phone services, and must live in a marketplace that
keeps driving down their revenue per transaction.  How do they
cope?  Cost-cutting.  Things are so competitive that they can't
take a breath.  If they make a mistake or say they're putting x
percent of budget to do something that will only pay off
long-term, their share prices go down, which reduces the value
of whatever portion of their shares they hold themselves, which
may be in use as collateral for loans to do the long-term
projects.  They must do whatever they can to prevent their share
prices from dropping.  And we (the populace of the USA, not me
personally, though) asked for this, and we're the one who drive
down share prices when a quarter's revenue does not "meet
analysts expectations" even though revenue may be up over the
same quarter in the previous year.  Humphh.