[thelist] Salvaging Linux Hard Drive

Jonathan Lim jonathan.lim at netdecisions.co.uk
Mon Jul 31 09:03:47 CDT 2000

Hi Terry,

Win98 doesn't have a boot loader, so you won't be fighting for the MBR. Your
primary drive's MBR is what is read when you boot up, so you should have
LILO on that. I've actually found that modern distribution (eg. latest SuSE)
are quite cunning when you want to do this kind of thing. Assuming you have
a second drive, then LILO should go on /dev/hdax and your main Linux drive
will be /dev/hdbx. They will blow away and write partition info for you.

I would have a read of some of the HOWTOs regarding dual-booting Win
systems:
http://www.linux.org/

Later,
Jon