[thelist] Dynamic forms

jeff jeff at members.evolt.org
Mon Jul 31 14:17:08 CDT 2000

michael,

:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
: From: "Michael Galvin" <mpgalvin at eircom.net>
:
: I have a site with an order form on it, which for time
: being is simply a set of form fields, asking for price,
: description, qty.  I don't know how many lines are
: going to be on the order, but I don't want to start off
: by showing 150 lines, because it would look stupid.
: So ideally, I'd have a check box which, when ticked
: would create another "line" for the order, and another
: check box, ad nauseam.
:
: Can this be done?  I've check irt, but "dynamic forms"
: doesn't seem to be the right phrase.
:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

it *could* be done, but it won't be pretty or reliable.  it won't work for
pre-v4 browsers and will be a serious pain to get it to work *at all* in
nn4.  ie4+ would be a breeze.

check this page out to read about what i mean:

http://www.dansteinman.com/dynduo/en/forms.html

fwiw, i would recommend that you try to move this sort of thing to the
server.  it sounds like what you really need is some sort of shopping cart
application that would allow the user to select items as they view them
instead of having to write them down and then enter them in the form page at
the end.  this may seem like a daunting task, but the rewards (users who are
more likely to use your/client's site) will be worth it.  besides, it's not
like you don't have a list full of peers to fall back on for questions,
support, ideas, and even contracted help.  *grin*

good luck,

.jeff

name://jeff.howden
game://web.development