[thelist] re-purposing website graphics

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 13:42:38 CDT 2000

> From: Erik Mattheis <gozz at gozz.com>
>
> Someone I did a web site for a few years ago wants to use
> illustrations I did for the website in a pamphlet.
>
> I have no idea what I would consider fair for a fee ... bill for the
> time it takes me to save the graphics in the format they need? $X per
> illustration? What is X?

well, one of two things happened when you put those images on
their site a while ago... either you sold them to the client, or you
licensed them to the client...

if you don't have a license agreement, then you sold them... so
they own them... you can argue this, but i wouldn't...

you charge for the time it takes to convert them into the correct
format that they need for print...