[thelist] Site design from a 3rd party design

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 1 13:47:35 CDT 2000

> From: "Ewing, Christopher" <CEwing at sscinc.com>
>
> The problem I have is I've gotten a comp of the "look" and I'm not
> sure at all how I'm going to deal with some of graphics from a tiling
> or background effect.
>
> The area in question that I'm really worried about is the white "link"
> structure on the right along with the "gear" image.  How can I get
> those to expand if I have more text in the center content area?

sounds like you need to explain all this to the designer... as it
stands, the mockup suffers from 'PowerPoint Syndrome', the idea
that it will be a specific aspect ratio and hard pixel size, and that
the user will travel through in a linear fashion...

it's up to you to educate the designer on the UI and implementation
issues inherent in the web...

or you could do what Levi's and the WB keep doing, image slice
the whole damn thing and screw the users (see archived post at
http://lists.evolt.org/oldarchive/Week-of-Mon-20000424/012685.html
that explains my grumpiness)...

ultimately, if you can't implement a design for a specific audience
(browser sub-set), and you *know* that your skills are good, then
you need to help create a design that will work... otherwise, it's
your fault when you can't implement it for either not raising a flag or
for not having the skill -- you decide which the client will believe...