[thelist] IIS: Can Directory Browsing Pages be Customized?

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Tue Aug 1 18:05:36 CDT 2000

Eric Engelmann wrote:
> this is kind of a hack, but could you turn *off* directory browsing, then
> put the error page for 403 errors pointing to a nice ASP script displaying
> all your data? In IIS you can customize the 403 page on the Custom Errors
> tab.

	Actually, that thought had occurred to me, but the truly hackish
nature of the approach made me think twice. It would probably work, and its
main benefit is that I wouldn't have to populate every folder with a
default.asp (or whatever) containing my FSO handiwork. But it's
counterintuitive, and might displease the boss. I'll let the idea bubble on
the back burner for awhile and see how it tastes a bit later. Sharp
thinking, though! ;)

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com