[thelist] target="_new" and xhtml 1.0

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Wed Aug 2 12:53:32 CDT 2000

aardvark wrote:
> >  Sorry about that last partial post. As Erika recommended,
> you need to
> > use the "loose" dtd, as required by the HTML 4 spec
> > (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/index/attributes.html).
>
> except he's using XHTML, not HTML... so a loose DTD for XHTML i
> think is what everyone means...

	Well, yes, mostly. You were right to clarify what I said. I pointed
to the html 4 spec because, unless you sift through the actual xhtml
transitional dtd (which can be a bit confusing), the xhtml spec itself
doesn't say boo about the target attribute. Since, aside from the
stylistic/construction restrictions of xhtml, the xhtml spec preserves 99.9%
of the html 4.x spec, referring to the html 4 spec is often the easiest way
to know whether a particular element or attribute is part of the strict dtd,
has been deprecated, etc., etc.
	For those who feel comfortable reading the actual xhtml dtds,
obviously that is the most direct way to know whether one of them supports a
particular element or attribute. For those who don't read dtds, referring to
the html 4 spec will steer you right very nearly every time. (Of course, a
quick check of the xhtml spec for the few exceptions is recommended, too! :)

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com