[thelist] Angora socks comment on DJC article

Jack Schonchin schonchin at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 2 14:38:52 CDT 2000

> 1) This sort of posting, while irritating in it's
> pointlessness, is indicative of what can happen if
> "easy" access is allowed to posters.

  It seems the complaint and resulting discussion of
the complaint has wasted far more collective time than
if the person who had been annoyed simply read past
the blurb and continued with his browsing.

> 2) Most people say "It's funny. It's harmless." He
> slammed the Christian Right in the first paragraph.

  Why yes I did. I poked fun at the Christian Right
and technology terminology.

> What if he had slammed african-americans
> using the n-epithet?

  And what if I were a Satanist sacrificing babies in
the street?  Examples, examples.

> 3) I can't remember back to when I got my account,
> but if this person could post without a valid
> email, that's could be considered a problem.

  I supplied a valid e-mail when registering. There's
a nifty little checkbox on the registration form that
reads "if you do not want your email address posted
with your author information, please check this box."

  You see, the single largest source of spam from is
having your email address on a web site. It gets
harvested again and again by automated spam trollers.
(I mean that in the fishing sense of the word, not
slashdot trolls). I am aware that this listserv is
also posted on the web, but I do reduce my exposure
whenever possible.

  It would be better for all concerned if our listserv
addresses were not posted on the web site. Instead,
partially obscure them and only make them fully
available to listserv members through a login
procedure (see egroups.com for an excellent example).