[thelist] Re: CuteFTP

Patricia Meeks pmeeks at email.msn.com
Wed Aug 2 17:38:15 CDT 2000

> Or... I spoke too soon. There is some monitoring of
> activity occurring with evaluation versions of CuteFTP.
> This is mentioned in the web site's privacy statement
> (item #4).
>
> http://www.cuteftp.com/company/privacy.html

I downloaded a free version of CuteFTP about four weeks ago and was warned
before downloading that spyware to support advertisers (and pay for the free
version) would be installed with the trial version, but there would not be
spyware with the purchased version. I downloaded the free version, tried it,
liked it and then bought the regular full version, sans spyware (with a
catch).

Anyway, I followed the instructions in a previous message, checked for
spyware and found that the spyware from the free CuteFTP download was still
on my system. Upgrading to the purchased version didn't delete their spyware
the other spyware I found was from Netscape.

Regards, Pat
pmeeks at msn.com