[thelist] javascript to stop Unload of page....

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Wed Aug 2 23:22:27 CDT 2000

I have a friend that is developing an Intranet app for his company. They are
standardized on Netscape. He has purchased a JavaScript App that creates dynamic
on-the-fly menus using dHTML. The problem is that Netscape is slow to render the
on-the-fly menus (about 5 seconds), and if a user hits the back/forward button before
the menu has completed loading, the browser will crash horribly.

Since you can't 'disable' the back/forward buttons, we thought that the onUnload
Event could be trapped and the browser prevented from leaving the page if less than 5
seconds had elapsed from the completed page load. However, it does not appear that
you can prevent the browser from unloading the page once the event has been triggered
- unlike the Form Submit.

What we want is a way to prevent the user from doing anything to the browser window,
until the dHTML Menus are loaded. Thoughts, ideas, argyle sock recipes are
appreciated.

--
Anthony Baratta
President