[thelist] SALARY.COM: Is that right???

McCreath_David McCreath_David at xmail.asd.k12.ak.us
Fri Aug 4 11:15:47 CDT 2000

Sorry to get in on this one so late, but I gotta agree with dissenting
opinion. This is absurd for my area. Did anyone else check the salary for
"Surfer-Web"?

Here's the description:

Surfer - Web
Visits multiple websites to gather information. Requires a high school
diploma with 0-2 years of experience in the field or in a related area. Has
knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a
particular field. Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to
perform the functions of the job. Works under immediate supervision. Little
creativity is required. Typically reports to a manager.

And the salary range for Anchorage is $40,577 to $48,876!

Uh, 'scuse me?! It's not off for me by $95k, but it's far enough off that I
would really question their methodology. They would have me making about
double what I make, and there's only one place in town paying that high, and
they are on the verge of folding, and they apparently suck to work for
(everyone is on a one-year contract, crappy benefits, etc.)

I think the Aquent guide that's been referenced on thelist and on thesite:

<wrap>
http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2266
</wrap>

is closer, but as you can see from the comments on that page, even that has
some problems. At least they state that they're talking in vague terms and
not implying that they can authoritatively speak for ZIP CODES for heaven's
sake.

David McCreath   Web Development
(907) 742-4647   Anchorage School District
                 http://www.asd.k12.ak.us/