[thelist] WAI Content Guideline Checkpoint 3.1

Zachary Mutrux zacm at etr.org
Fri Aug 4 12:21:31 CDT 2000

Ahoy The List:

I'm just looking for confirmation on something. It seems pretty clear to me,
but I was hoping someone might be able to contradict me.

BACKGROUND

According to the Web Accessibility Initiative of the W3C, a Web page must
meet all Priority 1 and 2 checkpoints of their Content Guidelines in order
to achieve Double-A Compliance.
<http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#Conformance>

The proposed new accessibility standards in Section 508 of the
Rehabilitation Act of 1998 suggest that if the standards are published, all
US Federal Web sites must have at least Double-A Compliance:

"The advisory committee recommended that the Board's standards reference the
World Wide Web Consortium's (W3C) Web Accessibility Initiative's (WAI) (13)
Web Content Accessibility Guidelines...including requirements from priority
levels one and two for each document."
<http://www.section508.gov/docs/rules.html>

QUESTION

Does checkpoint 3.1 actually outlaw the use of all text images?

"3.1 When an appropriate markup language exists, use markup rather than
images to convey information. [Priority 2]"

<http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-structure-presentation>

I'd appreciate hearing your thoughts on this.

zm