What's average? (was RE: [thelist] SALARY.COM: Is that right? ??)

Czechowski, Aaron aczechowski at towson.edu
Sat Aug 5 14:03:25 CDT 2000

> Some people's salaries are private, too. I worked for one
> company where only
> your direct supervisor and payroll knew your salary. It was
> completely taboo
> to discuss it. It sounds a little draconian, but it prevented many
> unpleasant discussions; it just never came up.
>
> Since I'm now a public employee, mine is public knowledge:

But even as a public employee, it's often not a good idea to go comparing
salaries, esp. with your colleagues.  There was a recent mishap here when
our business manager "accidentally" published a spreadsheet of all customer
support staff salaries on our department drive.  someone in my unit got a
hold of it, passed it around, and we poured over it.  now he ALWAYS brings
it up when we get into a disagreement - I make more than he does, and he
doesn't like it.

So just because it CAN be public knowledge, doesn't mean it should be.  :)
People are people, and will do stupid things and act immaturely.  it's human
nature.

Aaron  :)