[thelist] Re: image tiling

Aileen Wrothwell aileen at stonebikini.com
Mon Aug 7 12:47:44 CDT 2000

Hi Stephen,

Apparently background image tiling is just an occupational hazard.  A lot of
the advice I received suggested that I counsel my client to drop the
background image idea completely (tiling problems, slow page loading time),
but failing that (I agreed with the responses, but she just wouldn't go for
it) the solution that worked best for me was to increase the image size to
1200 x 1200 (or as large as the linked values in Photoshop would allow me to
make the second number if the first was 1200).  When the JPEG options window
popped up, I saved it at "1" image quality because I wanted the file to be
as small as possible, so that it would load quickly.  The image quality was
not visibly different when I compared it with the same image saved at 10,
but the page loading time was improved by an unbelievable amount.  It also
helped that the image was an abstract oil painting in with soft lines and
soft hues of a light color.  I don't typically save web images at 10, but I
wanted to test image quality and loading time.  Hope that helps some.  Best
regards, Aileen.

Aileen Wrothwell
Stone Bikini
E-mail: aileen at stonebikini.com