[thelist] WAI Content Guideline Checkpoint 3.1

Martin martin at members.evolt.org
Mon Aug 7 16:55:12 CDT 2000

Zachary Mutrux wrote on 7/8/00 10:13 pm

>I have come to the conclusion that the answer to my question is "yes, in
>order to achieve Conformance Level 'Double-A,' one may not use text images
>in a Web site.
>
>Martin said of checkpoint 3.1,
>
>> Ah, but 'appropriate' is an interpretable standard.
>
>The WAI provides a specific example that seems pretty clear:
>
><http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/#gl-structure-presentation>
>"...avoid using images to represent text -- use text and style sheets
>instead. Refer also to guideline 6 and guideline 11."

But it still doesn't say "Don't use" - avoid is still interpretable.

My take is that for normal headings, where the text has structural
meaning,
sure, use text & stylesheets. But for logos etc where the visual
presentation
is an integral part of the thing, then images could be OK if handled
properly.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at members.evolt.org              PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
  tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418                snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
 http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=9&uid=32            Edinburgh, Scotland