[thelist] Client Code versus Server Code Article....

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Mon Aug 7 17:22:58 CDT 2000

Anthony Baratta wrote:

> This is something that I believe can be tackled with a bit of reading on
> the questioners part.  Therefore, I'm feeling the need for an evolt article

rock.

> I come from a networking background were I believe the Client versus Server
> outlook is just part of the basic knowledge base. But a designer or HTML
> jockey doesn't usually start with that understanding. What helped you to
> understand the differences between client side coding and server side coding?

Heres the way I used to think of it myself..Kind of Forrest Gumpish, but
it helped..

"If the code is server side it takes up resources(CPU, memory, etc) on
their computers. If its client side, it takes up resources on my
computer."

Actually, the inverse is true(for me at least) these days cus I'm
usually the one running the servers now ;)

How I(looking back now of course ;) used to look at the client server
relationship when I was in kindergarten was with "Tinker Toys". In
simple terms, you always had one big 'hub'(tinker?) where all the
smaller pieces plugged in to.

Of course, that has nothing to do with code, but I really liked Tinker
Toys :)

Shout if you need/want more :)

.djc.