[thelist] Textarea formating

Norman Beresford n.d.b at innocent.com
Tue Aug 8 04:21:05 CDT 2000

Hi all

I've been a busy little bee, searching away on the net (well on google
anyway) looking for a cross-browser textarea formatting script.  Something
which will allow users to highlight some text in a textarea, press a button
and have the tags to make that area bold pasted in around the selection.

I've seen some basic ones (which is all I'm after really) such as
http://marxidad.editthispage.com/TextEditorDemo and I've seen some advanced
ones, such as the one at Hotmail.  However the thing I've noticed is that
they are all IE only.

I understand that IE gives access to the Textrange object, which seems to be
the heart of all of these scripts.  Would I therefore be right in suspecting
that you can only do this in IE, and that it's just not possible in
Netscape?  If it is possible could someone point me in the direction of a
suitable script

thanks in advance

Norman