[thelist] tar -T problem

Joxn joxn at vernum.com
Tue Aug 8 06:52:11 CDT 2000

Hi everybody,
I'd like to run a backup of our server (Red Hat) via a cronjob and a
script that calls tar with -T and a filelist.

This is where I start my script:
/home/sites/admin/

These are the directories that I want to archive:
/home/sites/vernum/de/
/home/sites/vernum/nl/
/home/sites/vernum/en/

I place my backups here:
/opt/backup/vernum/

So I wrote a script 'vernumfull_backup' with this line (wrap!):
tar -zcf /opt/backup/vernum/`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`-fb.tar.gz
-C /home/sites -T /home/sites/admin/vernumfull_files

and placed it inside /home/sites/admin/.

'vernumfull_files' is the filelist and looks like this:
vernum/de/
vernum/en/
vernum/nl/

I get:
tar: Cannot add file vernum/de: No such file or directory
tar: Cannot add file vernum/en: No such file or directory
tar: Cannot add file vernum/nl: No such file or directory

If I edit the filelist and write
../vernum/de/
instead. It works fine, but see, this really sucks when I extract the
archive.

For me this looks like a problem with the -C and -T options. I tried
EVERY position for -C but the -T seems to ignore it.

If I give the directory directly, it works fine, like this:
tar -C /home/sites -zcf
/opt/backup/vernum/`date "+%Y%m%d-%H%M"`-fb.tar.gz vernum/de/

But the moment I use -T it all breaks apart.
Is this a known problem with -T and -C? And is there a workaround?
For me - and others, I asked for help - this looks like a bug. But a bug
in tar???

Thanks in advance,
Joxn
--