[thelist] Bad Code vs Keeping Job

Christopher Orth - HQ corth at casey.org
Tue Aug 8 12:00:28 CDT 2000

Its easy to forget that in the end, its all about the end user experience.
A few lines of code are not going to make any perceivable difference to a
user on a 56k modem, and absolutely none on higher bandwidth.  As long as it
looks right to the user, I would suggest you don't worry about the code.
After all, with the bad browsers we are forced to design for, we ALL right
bad code to some degree!

I used to really tweak over what the code looked like under the hood.  Had
to be perfect.  But what I learned was that I was spending a huge amount of
time formatting something that had no impact on the end user experience.
You time is better spent on other things.

Now, I'm not saying good code isn't important, it is.  But as long as
quality is above the acceptable line, forget about it.