[thelist] Re: [the list] Bad Code vs Keeping Job

Tara Cleveland taracleveland at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 8 15:21:01 CDT 2000

Laura,

It sounds as if you really like this job, other than the coding issue. I
wouldn't quit over this one form problem. Perhaps the designer codes in a
different style than you, he might have reasons for designing the form with
extra td cells (did you ask him why he did it that way?).

Of course, if the whole site is what you consider to be a mess, I would
consider going to your boss and letting him/her know that you think this is
a problem, and why you think its a problem, give him/her reasons to change
it and estimate how long you think it will take to fix it.

If there is no reason for the extra td cells, the boss blows you off, and
you don't think they are taking your concerns seriously, be honest with
yourself, and ask yourself if maybe you are being too rigid in your coding
standards.

If after all this you decide that they are full of *^%#, then consider
quitting. Because it's really about their attitude towards you and the value
they place on the work that you do.

Good luck,

Tara

laura lynch wrote:

I have a potential dilemma in the making and wanted to get
feedback before
I actually encounter the problem. I've been given some pages to
code that
are not in the area that is normally my responsibilty
(basically, I'm
augmenting the guy who normally maintains this area). I've been
asked to
code them so that they are similar in style to other pages in
the area.