[thelist] International Browser Norms

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 9 11:12:55 CDT 2000

> From:  "Michael Roberto" <mroberto at sitetrends.com>
>
> I'm looking to gather some info on browser standards outside
> of the US.  Is it reasonably safe to shoot for 4.0 standards
> using Netscape and IE, or should I be looking to comply with
> 3.0 browsers.

depends on what you mean by 'comply'... make it
accessible/usable to older browsers?  alternate browsers? hell,
WebTV, screen readers, etc.?  or make it usable *only* by the
4.x+ with full JavaScript expectations?

> The primary users of this application will be business and
> home users in Europe, South Africa and South America.  What
> are your thoughts on this?

my thoughts are in no way correlated with stats... i hope some of
the non-US members of the list can give their own real-world
experience in tracking down that info...

otherwise, time to start looking around all those places that claim
to know how many users are on the internet, you know, Forrester
and the like...