[thelist] using ASP and databases for images

kevin raleigh krr at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 9 23:22:47 CDT 2000

I would like to build a database to hold several hundred images relating to
kitchen design and remodel.
The images have all been optimized so that is taken care.

I have seen sites that display large volumes of images and I have read about
people doing it with ASP'pages
to reduce the amount of work needed.

Have no experience with ASP except for a tutorial on ASP 2.0 that I recently
purchased!
I have minor experience with Access 97 as I took a course that showed how to
use the office software.
Have minor experience in C programming "not C+" as I finished an
introductory course in the spring quarter.
Part 1 of 3 in C programming. So I do know alittle about conditionals,
flags, switches, if-else, and else-if.

I have worked my way thru several books in DHTML and javascript, but haven't
done anything with VBscript or Visual Basic.

Well that's the what I can and can't do routine. Now what I can do is work
thru any material, ideas, insights,
HELP, that anyone can pass my way interms of how I can begin this project.

The ideas are simple enough:
1)Sort all images using the software that I have;
2)Build the dataBase structure to hold the pictures "access 2000 MS"
3)Using javascript and html build the page and navigation template for the
ASP pages
4)Find out how to use ASP to accomplish the task
      well that depends on what is entailed etc.........   :-)

I know what type of interface I would like to build not that it makes much
of a difference.
A simple counter that would move forward and back, adding and subtracting
one from the current image.
The HTML pages will use thumbnails to improve load times and will allow a
top loading window  to view the larger images so that no additional burden
will be placed on load times. Also the Main viewer will have the navigation
so that the client "user" can add or subtract one from the current image to
view the current file of images in a slide show presentation.

any insight or help would be appreciated
links to relevant data

thanx
krr