[thelist] Database connections using IP addresses?

L. Floyd lfloyd at sonic.net
Fri Aug 11 12:48:29 CDT 2000

We need to access a SQL Server db, which is deep behind our firewall on
our WAN, from our web server, which is in our DMZ (not connected to our
WAN in any way).  Assuming we poke the right holes through the firewall,
we thought there must be a way to do this using IP addresses in the
connection string rather than machine names.

Currently, if I make an ADO connection to the SQL Server database from a
web application on that same machine I do something like this:

<%
Set ThisConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
ThisConnection.Open "server=SQL_MACHINE_DOMAIN_NAME;driver={SQL
Server};;uid=localuser;pwd=;database=products"
%>

Would the IP connection (assuming it's possible) be made with the syntax
something like this:

<%
Set ThisConnection = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.connection")
ThisConnection.Open "server=144.195.100.100;driver={SQL
Server};;uid=localuser;pwd=;database=products"
%>

Or am I hopelessly lost?

Thanks for any/all help/suggestions!

- larry