[thelist] OT (verbage)

Leonard Tafro Leonard.Tafro at raremedium.com
Fri Aug 11 17:45:31 CDT 2000

Actually I think the distinction between "writing" and "crafting verbiage"
exists and is relevant.  As any "writer" will tell you, what they do is not
simply crafting words, it's as much the ideas that are extracted from a
writer's head that we are so excited (or opposed) to read.

Content Managers, or copy editors or what-job-title-have-you are responsible
for literally "crafting" better words (or verbiage) to satisfy a message
that has been entirely conceived by someone else, specifically, the client.
Usually for the economic end of better communicating with
customers/consumers.  This is hardly "writing" as in "I'm taking a month to
go to Sri Lanka and write".

I agree with Chris, buzzwords arise as much out of necessity as a desire to
sound "in the know".

A large portion of the sucess/beauty of English is it's ability to mutate
and adapt.

<ching>
USD.02
</ching>