[thelist] OT (verbage)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 17 09:55:19 CDT 2000

> From: Garvan Walshe <garvan at compsoc.man.ac.uk>
> >
> > while i agree with you, it's in the dictionary, and people
> > are *technically* using it correctly in most cases... of
>
> Which dictionary?

the one in my house... Websters... check the archives for my post
where i listed the 5 (or so) verb form definitions...

> > sustained a contusion to his cranium area with many bruises
> > and profuse bleeding..."
>
> However, in this case the jargon is probably used because it's more
> precise. For isntance, "Contusion" has a specific meaning. According
> to Websters, in medical usage it is:
>
> (it also just means bruise)

that was the point... it was redundant... as well as 'cranium area'...

> indeed, you have to also know what the words *mean*

feh, that doesn't stop most people...

<tip type="photoshop">
Have a back-lit photo?  Want a quick and dirty way to bring the
subject out?  Doesn't work on all photos, but can be very effective
on many:
http://www.adobe.com/print/tips/phsshadows/
</tip>