[thelist] Virtual PC

Zoe.Oughton at chi.nhs.uk Zoe.Oughton at chi.nhs.uk
Fri Aug 18 09:49:23 CDT 2000

                    Paul Bradforth
                    <pbi at dircon.co.uk>         To:     thelist at lists.evolt.org
                    Sent by:                   cc:
                    thelist-admin at lists        Subject:     Re: [thelist] Virtual PC
                    .evolt.org

                    18/08/00 14:03
                    Please respond to
                    thelist

On 18/8/00 at 12:31 pm, Zoe.Oughton at chi.nhs.uk wrote:

> I have just started a new job and I have to choose a computer, etc.
> Now, everyone else uses PCs within the organisation, but I want to use
> a Mac to develop the web site. I am used to the Mac, and much prefer
> it.

> Will you be the only person developing the site?
Yup.

> When you say "everyone
> else uses PCs", does that mean everyone else in a company whose product
> is something other than Web work? I only ask because I'd imagine it
> would make your life easier if you're talking about designing a site on
> a Mac without having to do more than the odd bit of linking up with PCs,
> rather than being part of a team designing a site mainly using PCs. If
> you see what I mean... :-)
I think I see what you mean! Everyone else will be doing different stuff to
me,  But I will be linking up to the PC network and they use Lotus Notes
which is why I wanted to know if Virtual PC would suit the job?

> The only thing that occurs to me is that you'll have to be pretty on the
> ball if you need to network the Mac with the PCs, as I doubt that you'll
> be able to get much help from the PC users on that score, as there's no
> reason why they should know how to network with a Mac...being the
> minority faction might feel a bit awkward for you...

Yes it might be a bit awkward, but thats where I hoped that Virtual PC
would come in?  Make my Mac just like their PCs.  Thanks for the help.

Zoe