[thelist] what to do with dead links

deboute benjamin deboute at fr.clara.net
Mon Aug 21 05:36:15 CDT 2000

At 02:40 21/08/00 -0700, jeff wrote:

>:~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>: From: deboute benjamin <deboute at fr.clara.net>
>:
>: bookmarklet+mail script
>: http://evolt.nerdsoul.com/clean_the_web.phtml
>
>how appropriate, considering the topic:
>
>Not Found
>The requested URL /clean_the_web.phtml was not found on this server.

lol :)

looks like my server has some problems with the subdomains.

murphy's laws are here.

--

the script ::

i assumed that altavista or any search engine filters the email with 404 in the subject / body
( not that i'm naive, but it SHOULD be like that, in a perfect nerd's world )

the bookmarklet calls a page that if the url field is not empty and does contain 'ht' as part of the scheme ( http / https ), sends back a http 204 ( the browser stops waiting for data, and stays where it was ), the mails the url to the search engine of your choice ( add a 'for' for multiple search engine ).
This version is not a working one, just the script left to be cut&paste and configured).

You could make a version pointing to the script called by the form of a search engine with the sending of a location header.

--
urls ::
http://www.nerdsoul.com/evolt/clean_the_web.html

--
disclaimer :: i made this quickly, in the mood of the moment, just as a caprice.
Don't expect it to be flawless :)

benjamin deboute