[thelist] $varaibles in perl

Anthony Baratta Anthony at Baratta.com
Mon Aug 21 10:44:09 CDT 2000

Adrian Fischer wrote:

> Heres another one for you.  The script I have has a gazillion "print"
> statements in it.  I have progressively gone through it and started to
> rewrite it and use print <<"EOF"; to encompass complete pages of outputted
> workload for the server.  I realise that every iteration of "print" is a hit
> on the server (at least that's what I thought) so how does getting rid of
> lots of them impacted on the compilation of the script as far as the viewer
> is concerned?

This is what I currently do....

I stuff everything I print iteratively into a single variable ( e.g. $PageHTML)

	$PageHTML =. "blah bah blah\n";
	$PageHTML =. "blah bah blah\n";
	Rise, lather, repeat.

Then issue one print statement for the program throwing everything at once back to
the browser.

	print $PageHTML;

If you go to:

	http://www.dairycouncilofca.org/hl/hl_pnp_inpu.htm

This is program I wrote about a year ago and uses this method. As you can see on the
'results' pages, there is a heavy use of html, with out templates. The results are
returned quite snappy. And this is not a very powerful web server.

--
Anthony Baratta
President