[thelist] opening sized window from jump menu

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Mon Aug 21 12:52:41 CDT 2000

> I have a jump menu from which I'd like each menu item
> to open a new window that I can size. I have figured
> out the javascript to open a new window but have tried
> every way I  can think of to size it to no effect.
> Do any of you know how to do this?

hi suellen

here's what i've used in the past to dynamically set window sizes --

  <!--
  function pop(url,w,h) { width=w+20; height=h+20;
     options = "width=" + width + ",height=" + height
       +
"toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,resizable=1"
  var newWin = window.open(url, "pop", options) }
  // -->
  </script>

i call it with an href like this --

     onClick="pop('foo.html',240,320)">foo</a>

but you can easily write this as an onChange for your jump menu SELECT

notice i add 20 pixels to the dimensions, this isn't really necessary,. i
just like to be safe in case i'm passing in a picture as the url, that way
i think i cover enough space for the default margins which i think are 10
in most cases

you could also parameterize the chrome, but those values are the ones i
always use on popups

i guess i could also shorten

    "toolbar=0,location=0,directories=0,status=0,menubar=0,resizable=1"

to just

   "resizable"

but since i always cut & paste from the last time i wrote code, i just
leave them in there in case i ever want to change the options

(which reminds me, i'm afraid i'm gonna have to look up screenx the next
time i need it again... )

rudy limeback
r937.com
evolt.org