[thelist] OT advertising impotence rant (was: open source developmentnetwork)

Isaac Forman isaac at triplezero.com.au
Tue Aug 22 10:20:30 CDT 2000

> you take into account what banner ads do - annoy users, making them
> automatically ignore certain sections of your page.

i find that this damages the internet more than any advertiser would have ever
expected. and i can't imagine any of them caring...

i know that with my avoidance of the header areas of most sites (instinctively
ignoring banner ads), i don't think to use header navigation until i've scoured
every other part of a page.

i can see it becoming a growing trend to use very distinct header navigation
(ie, on a dark bar of colour for example), or use a sidebar exclusively.

as 640x480 dies off (especially in the minds of those building the major web
sites), you'll struggle to find the real content in the first couple hundred
pixels. this means that anyone browsing these sites in 640x480, instantly has to
pagedown or scroll to read anything more than a headline.

bitch, eh?

isaac