[thelist] Forwarding browser requests

Chris Houston. chris at phosphors.net
Wed Aug 23 05:31:09 CDT 2000

Tony Grimes typed:

> <<gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/sports>> will point (from our office server) to the
> sports section on the university server at
> <<www.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/sports>>
>
>      Is there a way for our office server to forward this request directly
> to the university server without the user noticing (i.e. I don't want to
> use a client-side page reload with JavaScript)  We're using Appleshare
> 6.1 and the university uses Unix (AIX)? TIA

You don't have to use JavaScript, you could use a meta refresh, i.e:

URL=http://www.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/sports">

If you put this as the only contents of the index file at
http://gauntlet.ucalgary.ca/sports/, without HTML headers and other things,
the change will be unnoticable by the user.

The other option is to use a server redirect response. This might be
configurable in the web server's control panels, or you could use some
server scripting to do the same. (I don't know what scripting AppleShare
uses, but in ASP you'd put <% response.redirect
"http://www.ucalgary.ca/~gauntlet/eg/sports" %> as the sole contents of the
file.)

Chris Houston.

Creative Director