[thelist] CSS for tables..

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 23 18:47:13 CDT 2000

> From: kevin raleigh
>
> Most of the information I found all said to use
> the .em unit "when font
> control is needed" to enable the user to make
> adjustments according to there
> own needs.

yep, that's what i've found, too...

but after trying it out a few times, i've run into major problems... i agree it's probably the best
unit from an ideal standpoint, but like i mentioned before, the variation between platforms was
too great, and the limited control some browsers give you to resize was insufficient... marlene
and martin have both seen examples of some stuff i did using 'em' that looked great on every
PC for 5 miles, but every Mac in the same range displayed *small* text (2-5px)...

so, if i can, i offer that font control thingie i mentioned before
(http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=253), or i use %, or even any other relative sizing unit i
can...

interestingly, a few people here are proponents of leaving sizes out and letting the user's
defaults establish the size...

> Of course sense we ultimately work for someone
> else I guess they make the final decision.

erm, not in my case... most of my clients back off, or would rather not take the time for me to
explain what the hell an 'em' is, let alone CSS...