[thelist] Age. Was: HTML test (tip): The other side.

Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca Rudy_Limeback at maritimelife.ca
Thu Aug 24 14:04:45 CDT 2000

you know that guy rudy from survivor?  now *that's* old

(my favourite part of the whole series was a week ago, when they had to
run around with camcorders, filming themselves answering questions, and
rudy kept going "i dunno"...  "i dunno"... "i dunno" -- hilarious)

another rudy, not quite as old, but, um, probably two sigmas ahead of the
rest of y'all

p.s. oh yeah, folks, don't forget the tips for off-topic posts

<tip>
opening a popup window with javascript? always put
  onLoad="self.focus()"
into the body tag of the popup page
</tip

i created a link to a popup page on my company's intranet and was dismayed
to hear that one or two people had reported problems using it -- they said
it didn't work

turns out they were double-clicking the link!!

on the first click, the popup window appears, but on the second click, the
act of clicking brings the opener page back into focus, then clicking it
again (re)loads the popup window, which just stays in the background

from the user's perspective, it appears like a very brief flicker, and a
popup that isn't working

should i have anticipated that some users will double-click a link? ayup,
i believe that's part of the web designer's job