[thelist] cf vs asp

kevin raleigh krr at ix.netcom.com
Thu Aug 24 23:59:11 CDT 2000

Would like to add this question to those all ready posted and that is??
Where do you place, rate, score PHP.
I glanced at ASP and balked when I realized I would have to learn basic VB
before I even stated.

CF requires that you know HTML "no big deal" but it also requires that you
learn the software inside and out to take full advantage of it.
Question on CF:  How does it perform compared to the other languages in
speed and flexibility??  ASP CF PHP etc...
I ask this with a slant towards the WYSIWYG interface "editors". It is
common knowledge that they can easily double and triple the size of a page.
Not to mention that they don't have near the capability or flexibility of
hand coding. Is this the case when dealing with Cold Fusion??

I took a course an intro to C programming and plan to finish the course
after taking the server and client side programming that is offered
BUT..  Having only taken the intro course PHP looks like it leeds the pack
in being easy to digest and being user friendly . With just this course I
was able to understand most everything without a second glance.
It also has a few functions that actually make it easier to use than C. I
just finished going thru the appendix of the book. Sorting thru the various
functions and what not they look fairly easy to use. With the only the
introductory knowledge of C programming I understand all of the syntax and
useage for them.

When all is said and done I plan to have several languages under my belt but
for now it looks like PHP is the only card to play
until I have time to learn more programming languages.

Well I guess I sorta wondered abit on the subject, but I would appreciate
any input that you can offer.

thanx
krr