[thelist] Too many queries?

Adam Patrick apatrick at oracular.com
Fri Aug 25 09:44:22 CDT 2000

> Dear evolta,
> I will be writing a CF application and I'm afraid the database may have
> to be quite large with a lot of tables. I'm also going to have to query
> a lot of tables at once for some of those pages. Is there a recommended
> limit before server performance gets compromised? Thanks.

In general, I think databases can handle much more than most web apps
throw at them.  If you do run into performance problems there are some
easy ways to help the database out by tuning your queries and
strategically placing indexes. (I'm writing an article about these
important things that we all need to learn more about)

If you would like to tune further, there are other things you can
explore.  For instance, is this going to be a transaction processing app
or a read only app.  If it's read only data, you might think about
de-normalizing it.  This will remove some of your multiple queries and
some of your joins. (In my experience, joins and multiple queries cost
you only a little if they are written properly so in a low/medium load
situation it's a moot point)