[thelist] cf vs asp

Seth Bienek - Web Consultant sbienek at acep.org
Fri Aug 25 10:16:03 CDT 2000

I usually try to steer clear of Holy wars, but I've been watching this
thread with much interest and I have to much to include to let it slip by..

> any custom components, so you need to find script solutions to a
> lot of this (for instance, i got my hands on a great HTTP upload
> script that works perfectly on my shared NT host, without the need

<cffile action="upload">   +1 for CF. :)

> like a said before, that's because CF adds the layer of
> extrapolation between the OS and the application... so yes, you

This one has me curious.  CF Server interfaces with the webserver's API, in
MS's case, ISAPI, in exactly the same manner as ASP.  I cannot see how this
adds an extra layer of extrapolation.  If I am incorrect, please set me
straight, but I am thinking that this statement may be incorrect.

> you can connect via ODBC, OLEDB, MS Jet (for Access for
> example)...

+1 for ASP.  To connect to MS Jet databases with ColdFusion, an ODBC
datasource must be set up on the CF Server.  With ASP it's possible to just
upload and go; with CF, if you don't have admin access on the server then
you could have to wait on someone to set up the Datasource.

> if you don't have the in-house talent, or aren't NT-based, try CF...
> the price point to get CF vs. NT/ASP at that point is close enough...

I don't know if I completely agree with this.  I would say that if you have
in-house talent, or if you have a background in OOP development, or if you
are an all-MS shop, then  ASP may be for you.

If you are new to developing web applications, ColdFusion has a much, much
better learning curve.  Many complex functions are already built into the
language, but it has the power to extend far beyond pre-built functions as
well, for in the future when you decide to become a CF Jedi Master. :)

The next generation of CF server will also be written entirely in Java, so
it will run on nearly any platform out there.  The language (CFML) will also
integrate with Java-based technologies (such as jsp), so you will be able to
write your CF in a number of formats, or if you want, start developing in
Java altogether down the road, when your grasp of programming skills is
stronger.

It isn't my intention to trash ASP here.  I'm a ColdFusion developer, and as
such I haven't focused a great deal on ASP's features and benefits.

There is a comparison of the two online at:
http://www.swynk.com/friends/murphy/articles.asp

It's by a CF developer, so it may be slanted.  I'd be interested in seeing
an actual, unbiased comparisson of the two..

Just my 2 drachmas,

Seth

Seth Bienek
Independent ColdFusion Developer