[thelist] breaking into the web design industry

Peter Van Dijck peter at vardus.com
Sat Aug 26 14:21:13 CDT 2000

>You'll probably say, 'well, you've gotta decide what it is you
>want to do', but I'd like to get an overview of the whole caper,
>and then try and decide from there.

yep.

If you want to start as an HTML slave (as we call em affectionately), which
means you'll be transforming photoshop docs into html, (afterwards the
coders put in the code that pulls stuff from databases), you need good
html. ok javascript. good css. a
I-will-solve-this-and-I-will-grab-every-chance-to-learn mentality, and
that's it. You'll get  a job (in London at least). If you know basic
programming (be it coldfusion, PHP, ... and a month or three experience
with databases), you'll have no problem finding a job. It's probably worth
just throwing yourself at, say, PHP and mySQL. You'll pick some up in a
month or two, and you'll be way ahead of the competition. Definitely better
spent time than getting into the bloody details of some html version on
some obscure OS with some obscure browser blabla I say. As long as you have
that mentality of wanting to learn, you'll easily get there. Give it 2 to 6
more months of learning, and then just get your first job.

Good luck
Peter