[thelist] Photoshop 6 screen caps

Aylard JA (James) jaylard at equilon.com
Mon Aug 28 18:20:46 CDT 2000

Martin,
> >Only inasmuch as we might now be able to get rid of ImageReady...seems
> >like Photoshop does all that now. I could never see the point of
> >ImageReady; this looks great to me.
>
> If you've already got PS, sure. But IR was a great 70ukp package which
> did pretty much everything I needed. I was about to roll it out over
> several hundred users when Adobe pulled the plug.

	When Adobe released ImageReady 1 and ImageStyler, I figured that the
two apps would be combined into a single web-graphics studio app (which I
would have liked). When Adobe instead added some of IS's features to
ImageReady 2 and bundled it with Photoshop 5.5 (largely unchanged since
PS5), I saw it as hackish marketing ploy designed to pull IR users into the
more lucrative PS upgrade path. My new assumption was that by PS6, IR would
be fully integrated into PS and would no longer exist as a separate, bundled
app. Obviously, I'm not very good at predicting Adobe's marketing strategy.
IMO, IR should be either totally integrated into PS, or offered as a
separate app for situations such as the one you describe (although my first
choice would still be that IR and IS be combined -- but it looks like that
ain't never gonna happen now). This continuing separate-but-not-quite-equal
thing is a bit strange.

James Aylard
jaylard at equilon.com