[thelist] Price help!

Frank framar at interlog.com
Tue Aug 29 19:21:38 CDT 2000

At 9:27 PM +0100 8/29/00, mr dave wrote:
>My problem is, I've never done a site for a paying customer before and have
>no idea about what to charge and the details of a contract.
>
>Does the fact that I'm 16 make a difference? I must also mention that I live
>in the UK.

I wouldn't charge per page. Here's a starting rate:

Hours of work * what you think you're worth per hour.

I usually find that it's better to charge per job. If your time comes
under, you increase your profit. If it come over, they benefit from
your low price.

Generally, when deciding what I'm worth on a project, I find out that
they are willing to pay (Guestinmating: It's an experience thing),
and figure out my rate backwards.  (If you know they were willing to
pay $1000, would you quote them $500?)

It's good practice to make your first quote your final quote. And
make sure you are quite clear on the agreement. Age has some to do
with it (ie: The prejudice to pay less), but professionalism knows no
age.

Good luck!
--

Frank Marion                      Loofah Communications
frank at loofahcom.com               http://www.loofahcom.com