[thelist] Owed tip..

Daniel J. Cody djc at five2one.org
Thu Aug 31 15:44:09 CDT 2000

<tip type="high volume mailing lists" author="djc">
If you ever think that your mailserver is running really really slow,
and you don't have a clue why, let me save you 2 days of agony :)

Check your mailservers log file to see if its getting too big. On most
unix systems you can find it at /var/log/maillog - If its getting above
the 1GB range, you need to manually rotate your logs. Sendmail for
example, will waste a good amount of time trying to write to that huge
ass logfile.

Keeping it under 500Mb is a good idea, and won't make sendmail(or your
MTA of choice) fight for resources.

Now humbled by my 'i know everything there is to need to know about
sendmail' fantasy,