[thelist] HTML validators(off topic)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 1 08:58:54 CDT 2000

> From:           	George Donnelly <gsd at mac.com>
>
> <snip>
> > unless you don't care that the browsers can't see it
> <snip>
>
> What do you mean browsers cant see it? you mean they cant render the
> page? I havent seen this.

who wrote that and in what context?  it might have been me, but if
it is, it's missing context, and i'm at work and unable to check my
'sent' box, so i can't answer it specifically...

however, the current crop of browsers don't have the support for
even HTML 4.01 (except perhaps Mac/IE5.5, and Netscape 6PR1)
to the extent that they should, so what reason do you have for
moving to XHTML?  it certainly doesn't offer the user anything
special...

> do you mean the browser doesnt notice that Ive got all the souped up
> code and would do the same thing with html4?
>
> if the latter, maybe so; but I'm not doing it for the benefir of the
> browser ;-p

then that is a viable reason, but with such small differences (lower-
case tags, closed tags, etc), what makes it easier on the
developer? this isn't rhetorical, if you have reasons, please let us
know, i'm certainly curious...