[thelist] erika

Martin martin at lists.evolt.org
Sat Sep 2 10:22:07 CDT 2000

Erika Meyer wrote on 31/8/00 11:29 pm

>BTW, this group, from what I understand, takes 30% of whatever a
>company is willing to pay... no small amount.  If a company wanted to
>hire me permanently, they would be entitled to 30% of my first years
>salary. (!).  And according to the non-compete agreement, I couldn't
>take a job with any of their contacts for one year, without them
>getting their 30%.  Pretty steep for an industry with such a high
>rate of turnover.

30% is *very* high (15% is more usual), and it normally gets
billed to the employer as a fee, rather than coming out of your
cut. You agree $50,000 with the employer? That's what you
get. The employer then has to pay the agency $7,500 as a finder's
fee.

Cheers
Martin

email: martin at members.evolt.org              PGP ID: 0xA835CCCB
  tel: +44 (0)778 068 6418                snailmail: 30 Shandon Place
 http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=9&uid=32            Edinburgh, Scotland