[thelist] Linux Simple Installation Wanted

Jorah Lavin madstone at madstone.net
Sat Sep 2 17:06:51 CDT 2000

Greetings.

I found that I have a "spare" PC sitting in my cube which no-one ownes or
particularly wants. I've wanted to try using Linux to see what it is
about.  The box has a Pentium II processor, 125 megs of RAM, and a one-gig
hard drive, and a CD ROM.

I'd like to set up a web server to test things on, on our corporate
LAN.  I've no UNIX or Linux experience, and I'd love some hints as to what
the least-painful way of getting started with Linux.  Should I go with a
shrink-wrapped package, one of the cheap disk distributions I know are
available online, or a download?  Any good sites with hints and hand-holding?

TIA, and I know I owe some tips... I'm trying to think of something decent.

-Jorah