[thelist] web-safe (webmonkey has a new article?)

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Thu Sep 7 23:07:59 CDT 2000

yes, Webmonkey actually has a new article... not a repeat of
something 2 years old and absurdly out-of-date... two
Razorfish lackies take a look at the web-safe palette:

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/index2a.html?tw=eg
20000907

you can skip page 2 (it just explains web-safe), but page 3
details the fact that (as mentioned here all too often)
16-bit displays do not use the web-safe palette... skip page
4 (shows dithering)... page 5 actually describes their
testing (yes, testing, not conjecture, wow) and even notes 4
colors that are not web-safe on IE4+/win thanks to an IE
bug... page 5 offers some strategies to use when dealing
with color on the web...

i like their new 22-color really-web-safe palette:
http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/00/37/stuff2a/complete_w
ebsafe_216/reallysafe_palette.html

what's interesting is that according to my recently-cited
article on screen resolution
(http://www.evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2297), the median
and mode of users at my site run at 16-bit, and the mean is
21-bit (round to 24-bit)...

btw, someone wanna tell them that JS pop-up windows work
better when you put the JS in the href instead of just a
'#', forcing the page to scroll to the top... at least then
it'll show the JS in the status bar... razorfish, huh? oh,
and thanks for the pop-up that's larger than my screen,
guys...