[thelist] Nested SQL question

Warden, Matt mwarden at odyssey-design.com
Tue Sep 12 14:40:04 CDT 2000

> > Another way of accomplishing this task would be to
> > join all 3 (recipes, ingredients, and useringredients)
> > tables using the same criteria you already have present
> > (from both queries).
>
> hi adam
>
> excellent strategy
>
> that happens anyway, under the database covers -- views and even
> subqueries are first translated into joins -- so if you can write them as
> joins, it may aid comprehension, and sometimes you can influence the
> actual execution strategy chosen by the optimizer...

You seem to be mentioning a lot of things that are in:

Use Oracle's Explain Plan to Tune Your Queries
http://evolt.org/index.cfm?menu=8&cid=2986

In fact, I think adam even wrote this one. I wish the title was more general
so that non-Oraclonians would read it... it's a really good article.

Thanks,

--
mattwarden
mattwarden.com