[thelist] Really bad design from an organisation that should know better

Erika Meyer erika at seastorm.com
Tue Sep 12 22:19:20 CDT 2000

>yes, academia...
>
>oh, and artists... but that's a whole different can of worms...

two of my favorite kinds!

Though I'm not sure what you really mean by 'artist.'  Almost
anything could be an art, couldn't it?  Even web design?  Or???

Speaking for academia, they are always worried about funding, and
most universities seem chronically underfunded in the web department.
The PR offices  in many universities still haven't been able to deal
with the WWW fully, perhaps because the academic higher ups have not
been too quick to recognize the value of the web, nor the investment
required to do it well.

At lower levels, where stuff has to happen, the academic POV often
is: 'The young 'uns know this computer stuff.  Let's have a student
design our site for work-study money!'  (or better yet, for free!
They can turn it in for a 'class project.')

Hows this for scary: a university art department site which was
developed as a series of student projects?)
http://www.humboldt.edu/~artdept/

Erika

PS: At least the MLA site has "alt" tags.

erika at seastorm.com
http://www.seastorm.com